This recipe is so simple and tastes yum! It is light and flavoursome, while also being reasonably quick to make. It can also be frozen and re-heated at a later date. So you can use it to stock up your freezer for those nights when you may not have the time to prepare a nutritious meal or you feel like something light. I also have this soup for breakfast and find it a supportive way to start my day.
This soup is gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free
1 large onion, diced
3 medium fennel – diced
herbs and spices, such as oregano, basil, mint, parsley – fresh or dried
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 hot chilli, diced (optional)
2 (800g) tins of diced tomatoes
3-4 fresh tomatoes, diced (optional)
1.2 kg seafood marinara mix (found in most supermarkets in Australia in the deli section)
- Place the diced onion and olive oil in a soup pot.
- Cook onion for a few minutes, then add fennel, along with the garlic, chilli, herbs and spices.
- Cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, as well as the fresh tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add seafood marinara mix.
- Cover and simmer for about 20-30 mins, making sure that the heat is not too high otherwise the marinara mix will overcook.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days in an air tight container and keeps well in the freezer.