I found the original recipe for these cupcakes on the back of a card my daughter was given, and over the weekend we experimented with converting it to gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. After our first attempt I knew what needed to be added and changed, so our second batch came out super yummy.
These cupcakes are flavoursome, light, and moist. With cream ‘cheese’ frosting to boot! Here is the recipe for you all to enjoy.
These cupcakes are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free
1 tablespoon poppyseeds
2 tablespoons almond milk
2 cups gluten free self raising flour
Zest of one orange
Freshly squeezed juice of one orange
½ cup maple syrup
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup sugar free orange marmalade
2 eggs, beaten until fluffy
Cream ‘Cheese’ Frosting
3 tablespoons coconut butter
125g dairy free butter
Zest of one lemon
Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
Maple syrup to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cupcake cases.
- Soak poppyseed in almond milk and set aside.
- Combine flour and orange rind in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt oil, maple syrup, and marmalade in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once cooled, stir into flour mixture, along with the eggs, orange juice, and poppyseed mixture until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases, approx ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top of the cupcake springs back when light pressure is applied.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Using an electric beater, combine coconut butter and dairy free butter.
- Beat until mixture becomes light in colour and fluffy.
- Beat in the lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Add maple syrup a tablespoon at a time until desired sweetness is reached.
- Pipe onto cupcakes.
Keep in an air tight container in the fridge. Take out of fridge about one hour before serving so the oils in the cupcakes can loosen up.